Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Competitive

My a-mom and I were recently discussing my sister's one-and-a-half-year-old son. A-mom had been to visit them and was so proud, and she should be, he's a beautiful, bright child. But she wasn't going on about his pretty blond hair, his bright eyes, or his mostly sunny disposition.

She was proud because she had seen him take a toy away from his cousin. That meant that he was competitive. This was the best thing ever.

Competitiveness has always been stressed above all things in my a-family. I came from a family of girls and we were expected to compete in sports, but oddly not in academics. When the school started a gifted program, my sister was removed because their "little projects" got in the way of sports training. The fact that this might keep her out of better colleges was not taken into consideration, as she wouldn't be allowed to play basketball at a major school. She was groomed to attend a community college where she could make the team. Nothing else mattered.

Early in life I was categorized as "not competitive enough" so nothing I did would ever measure up to the pride my a-parents felt seeing my sisters on the athletic field.

The odd thing is, I was competitive, and continue to be. I have a case full of racing trophies, a few appearances in national car magazines, a box full of ribbons and various accolades for my art, a quite a few published articles on a variety of subjects and fiction. None of this means a thing.

I continue to be competitive as my sisters do not. Neither have gone on to use these skills in business or life. The lessons they learned on those fields did not translate into their lives My continued competitiveness also bothers my a-parents.

They will not watch me race, they do not understand why I maintain a studio, they do not care to read what I write. They think I should "get serious about life".

What that means, I have no idea. I cannot just quit and go to the mall and hang around the country club. I'm too competitive.

5 Comments:

Blogger Doughnut said...

Addie...If I were your parent, I would be proud of your accomplishments but I would also not push you to be something you are not or didn't want to be. Your worth is not contingent on what your do, but on who you are. I don't know why they don't see you as serious about life. It seems to me that you are far more serious than the rest of the family - at least from what I know so far.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Addie Pray said...

leroy,

I'm writing about things that I'm used to, I suppose I use my blog for a bitch board way too often.

Maybe I'm trying to bring up things I've heard from other adoptees too.

But, thank you, it's always good to hear nice things

Kippa,

C'mon It's on. I'm not letting you off that easy.

You and Me blog vs. blog.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Doughnut said...

Addie....ventilate because it is healthy and I hope you don't mind me reading and commenting from time to time. It helps me understand where you are coming from.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Addie Pray said...

Leroy,

I love that you read and comment. But you realize you ware supposed to bring the beer, right?

kippa,

Earnest is a very good description.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Doughnut said...

I will bring the beer for ya Addie and diet pepsi for me...or hot chocolate...either way it would be a pleasure!

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home