Monday, November 27, 2006

No Photographs Please


Thanksgiving.

My husband and I had Thanksgiving dinner(or as we like to call it, the day of Mom's martyrdom) at my a-Moms house this year. Things started off as they usually do.

Mom whining that nobody likes her turkey and why did she bother to even make. Actually this is true, she cooks it in a plastic bag and it still comes out dry and flavorless.

My brother-in-law, Captain Comb-over, complaining about one citizen of our small burg or another. For someone that told us how he and my sister are the most popular couple in town, he sure doesn't seem to be enjoying his popularity very much.

My other a-sister cycling between praying and complaining that "the gays" are taking over the country.

My a-Dad fast asleep, ignoring it all. Sleep is his defense mechanism.

The football game blasting on the TV.

I tried to stay out of all of it. I attempted to amuse myself by looking at the family pictures on the room long mantle. There were pictures from all stages of life, baby pictures, school pictures, graduation pictures, wedding pictures etc.

I braced myself for finding my prom picture, early 80's you know, Gunny Sax dress, hair in a French braid, date wearing a tux with blue satin lapels. My wedding picture, basically imagine Jimmy Page marries Bernadette Peters, in another Gunny Sax dress. I really didn't want to see that again.

There were at least fifty 8x10 photos on that mantle. There were pictures of my parents, my sisters, their children, my grand-parents, even family friends, but not a single one of me.

Well, it saved me the embarrassment of my mis-spent youth anyway.

8 Comments:

Blogger Doughnut said...

Every person I know is harder on themselves when it comes to looking at their own pictures, but then not to find one of yourself amongst so many on the mantle must have made you feel a twinge of anger and hurt. The Bible says, "Honor your parents". I think it is a two way street, parents need to honor their children too!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Addie I want to see you in a Gunnie Sax Dress. That would be greatttt.

They are just jealous because you got all the looks in the family

2:19 AM  
Blogger Addie Pray said...

leroy,

I truly wasn't surprised. In a way, it doesn't bother me, when I have been left out of things before ans said something, my folks just said they didn't think I needed them, "I was the one who could take care of myself." That could be good or bad, KWIM?

Joy,

Oh no never, never will those photos see the light of the internet, never. Not going to happen. No way.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Addie Pray said...

Oh, Kippa, think Little House On The Prairie, but with more lace. Not very sophisticated, I'm afraid, or posh either.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Doughnut said...

Gunnie Sax dresses were in vogue in the early 1980s. Within our first year of marriage, I bought my wife a new one and for the life of me, I haven't seen it in decades. Now that you have me thinking of it, I may ask her whatever happened to it...hmmm or maybe best left alone.

My question addie to you is: Do you think you needed those pictures of you on the mantle? I think many folks would be upset (or down right angry) if they were left out.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well I thought Gunnie Sax Dresses were fab, of course I was about 8 when I wore mine, so much lace, so much ribbon...

1:05 AM  
Blogger Doughnut said...

Joy...maybe if you were to show your pic when you wore your Gunnie Sax Dress, addie might! :)

7:13 AM  
Blogger Amyadoptee said...

I hate those old time pics and my mother has them everywhere
She even went as far as getting a huge one made of me.

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home